Formby Village Tennis Club Advice
Please click below to find the latest club advice regarding the Covid 19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
Formby Village Tennis Club
A warm and welcoming tennis club situated in the heart of Formby Village.
Welcome to the Formby Village Tennis Club where you can find a wealth of information relating to the Club, ranging from facilities to competitions and social events. Formby Holy Trinity offers a great place to enjoy playing tennis as a senior or junior. Social tennis and league tennis is played and the club is open all year round.
The Tennis Club was established in 1906 when it consisted of two grass courts laid alongside the bowling green. The club now boasts a recently built pavilion overlooking 4 floodlit AstroTurf courts.
Please click 'become a member' to find out information on how to join Formby Village Tennis Club!
Coaching at FHTTC
Formby Village Tennis Club currently has two coaching teams, Tarquin Maylam and Danny McShane, providing structured lessons for individuals and groups for all ages and abilities. Please find more information about Tarquin and Danny's coaching by clicking here.
To book onto courses at Holy Trinity, please visit our Clubspark Booking site by clicking here.
Four all-weather courts
Floodlit and playable in all weather.
Complete with kitchen and changing facilities.
The clubhouse and courts are all accessible via a flat footpath, with a disabled W/C located in the clubhouse.
As a member of the club you will have access to a wide range of social events such as: Saturday Social Tennis, BBQs and much more!
History of the Club
The club's roots go back to 1891, when the vicar of the Holy Trinity Church, Rev. John Brooke Richardson, began a bible class for men on a Friday evening. The class lasted an hour followed by games that included billiards, on a ¾ size table. The evening proved to be so popular that soon there was a regular attendance of often more than 60 people. Right from the beginning Canon Richardson insisted that the Village Club should be open to all in Formby irrespective of religion or class.
In 1905 the members of the club approached the vicar with a view to obtaining land for a bowling green and tennis courts. As history shows he thankfully agreed, money was raised and in 1906 the bowling green and two tennis courts were opened. In 1908 the Village Club became The Holy Trinity Church Club. In 1925 three new grass tennis courts including a singles court were laid. In 1928 the Beauford Hall was built in memory of Mr John Salmon Beauford JP who had been a staunch supporter of the club from the beginning. In 1951 two of the grass courts were converted to shale. In 1964 the wooden tennis pavilion was built. During the years that followed both Bowls and Tennis sections had floodlights erected, a bowls shelter was built and tennis courts resurfaced.
In 1996 the tennis pavilion was totally destroyed by fire but by 1998 a marvellous new pavilion had been built. In 2011 the tennis courts were again resurfaced this time with the AstroTurf you see today. The centenary of the Club has been celebrated and it has remained for all that time a place of welcome and friendliness and an organisation of which the founders would be proud.
In 2019 the decision was made by the Club's members to rename the club to Formby Village Tennis Club.
Roll of Honour can be found here.
Find the latest news from the club here.